samedi 27 mai 2017

Oliver Twisted - How to create an original character from studies

Oliver Twisted
Here is a design I created, based on Charles Dickens' famous character. My idea was to come up with a freaky version of Oliver Twist. I try to not use references to draw his face because I wanted it completely "original". In this article, I'm going to show the process I used to get this final design.





1) You can see a page of my sketchbook (Horrid light, sorry) where I did a few drawings. Those are studies from photos I found on the internet. Those people have a Treacher Collins syndrom and it causes deformities on the face because the skull basically lack of some of its bones. Those anatomies are pretty much what I was looking for to study. So I drew a few of them in my sketchbook, trying to understand the topic. Those are not supposed to be pretty drawing, just studies that show how the volumes work, and how the face features are, compared with basic human proportions.




2) Here is the drawing I came up with, after my studies. I drew the face from imagination, without taking a look at my previous references because I studied them on purpose. This is the face I imagined for that character, but I can try variations now (maybe I will :D). I drew his gesture and clothes using some photos, but that part of the process can be done with the same workflow (studies + drawing from memory). In this particular case I was especially interested in the face but it could be great to work on outfits too!




3) I drew him an open mouth digitally to give him a little smile and make him more unique; because I thought he was looking a bit like Daniel Craig!

4) Here is the drawing selected with polygonal lasso tool to make the edges very clean. I also put a flat gray layer under the drawing, to block the shape of the silhouette and work on this, as a base for my painting.





5) Now I picked some colors to give more life to the character. I choosed desaturated colors because I didn't want the clothes to take too much attention. I also added a very bright rim light on the right side of the character to make him pop a little bit more and to give more informations about the volumes.

6) This is basically the whole character rendered. I already described some of my technics in previous articles, and this is not a tricky part this time, all I had to do was to paint skin and clothes (not weird and fantastical textures).

Zoom on the face - I gave him freckles with a particle brush and a vivid light layer, but soft light should work good as well.

7) Once all is rendered, I can put all layers in a group. I duplicate the layer group (to save it, just in case) and merge it. Then I can add some adjustments like a curves layer for values (I lowered the blacks, mostly) and a few color corrections with a color balance layer. I also added textures with some custom brushes I like, then I put the layer on soft light and presses ctrl+u to make it darker. I also made desapeared it in the darkest areas and lowered the opacity of the whole layer.



Finally, this is pretty much it :) Thanks for reading, cheers!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire